What can you do before Nov 10, 2017 deadline?
- Skim Read the draft plan asap!
- Read the American Whitewater Summary of Comments
- Read our Summary of Comments
- Comment directly to AHRA via this link
- Some simple speaking points for your consideration, feel free to customize or use these:
- Subject: Draft Arkansas River Management Plan Public Comment period
- Please give us more time to comment on the draft Arkansas River Management draft plan that was released on Oct 10, 2017. Public comments close on Nov 10, 2017.
- 30 days is not enough considering it has taken years to draft this plan and the public has only had 30 days to review this new plan and give feedback. Please extend the public comment period to Dec 31, 2017
- Please remove private boater capacities and permitting language from this draft plan. Private boaters are only 10% of use and have in fact shown flat use since 1990. Private boaters do not negatively impact the resource or experience. In fact the river corridor resource has improved over the years.
- Anglers can fish when they want, we want to boat just as freely. Would you restrict hikers or anglers with un-needed restrictions?
- Private boaters tend to run at high water then shift to other rivers when the flows change. Commercial outfitters peak season is later in the summer season when families tend to vacation (ie. late June and July). This seasonality difference disburses use trends to different weeks/months. Private boaters do not cause congestion on the river!
- Economic impact: This plan would decrease revenue for commercial entities in towns such as Buena Vista and Salida, Colorado that reside along the river corridor if private boaters could not boat the river due to an un-needed and restrictive private boater permit system. Conservative research shows that one private boater contributes ~$100 a day for each day spent boating. This includes lodging, food, gas, entertainment, other activities, etc.... A private boater permitting system would limit boaters to visit the Arkansas River Valley for boating recreation.
- Copy your comments to the following critical representatives: They are unaware of this draft plan.
- Data Links: